Guidance for Contributors
- Embroidery magazine’s features include interviews with, and profiles of, artists and makers; overviews of trends and movements within textiles; in-depth articles covering aspects of historical or world textiles; travel features and much more.
- If you have an idea for an article, please send a brief outline, with the main points you plan to cover.
- The maximum word length we commission is 1,000 words.
- Our tone is friendly, rather than academic, and we usually commission professional writers, critics, experts and journalists, although we welcome submissions from informed enthusiasts.
- Good images can make the difference between commissioning or rejecting your article idea. Before contacting us, please ensure that high-resolution, publishing-quality images are available, and that we can obtain written copyright clearance.
- All articles are written independently of the subject unless otherwise agreed with the Editor.
- Artists or others interested in being profiled should contact the Editor with their CV, a 200-word statement about their work and details of their website. We aim to reply to you within two-three weeks but this may take longer during busy periods.
- The Editor commissions on behalf of the publisher: Embroiderers Guild Ltd, Bucks County Museum, Church St, Aylesbury HP20 2QP.
- Deadlines and fees are agreed in advance with the Editor.
- The Editor reserves the right to edit all submissions.
- All final submitted work must be the original work of the author, and references to previously published material should be included in full along with the final text.
- No payment is made for articles promoting a product or event in which the author has a commercial interest.
- We do not commission photography, or cover photographer’s expenses, unless expressly arranged with the Editor during the commissioning process.
- We do not cover travel expenses, unless expressly arranged with the Editor during the commissioning process.
We commission well in advance of our deadlines – at least six months in advance of our publication dates but general submissions for news (and features that have been commissioned) are as follows: